Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog Post #3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
This clip is taking place in a college classroom where the students are giving facts about their college experience. Each student held a sign stating what they are doing with their college years. Most of them spent it on Facebook or on their cell phones. This didn’t shock me because I too am guilty if this. The point the clip is trying to make is if whether or not technology is good in the classrooms. I can see the issue with it because students are not paying attention when there is a laptop, iPod, or other device in their hands. Technology can be a big distraction, but it can also be a saving grace. I actually loved the way the director put all the facts in the student’s hands for us to view. I think that by doing this, it created an instant connection between college students viewing it and them.

I do have a connection with this clip because every day I see people on Facebook instead of listening to the professor. I see empty seats where students pay for their education but yet do not come. I too pay for textbooks but never use them and I can see where technology has played a role in this. However, I believe that I could not be as successful as I am now without the technology that I use. It keeps me up to date with my studies and it helps me to further my education by allowing me to see things that I would never get the opportunity to see without it.

Kelly Hines: It’s Not about the Technology
The core outcomes that are listed from the Partnership for 21st Century Skills can be learned without technology by a good teacher. The problem here is that if we are teaching kids in the 21st century without technology, aren’t we defeating the purpose? Education is based on technology because the purpose is to educate the students about life/job skills. If we as teachers deprive the students of technology, aren’t we harming more than causing good? Technology is the way of life and it is only getting worse so the main point is that technology has to be taught in order for these students to make it in today’s society.

However; with that being said, I do believe that technology is not a substitute for good teaching but can be wonderful in the hands of a great teacher. The teaching method has to be changed in order to teach students now. There are more and technological advancements happening and teachers have to be able to keep up. With the right teacher, technology can be the key to success in the classroom. It can aide in helping the teacher and the students become better learners.

Karl Fisch: Is it okay to be Technologically Illiterate?
This blog is pretty harsh when it comes to teachers and technology. Some people may even find it defensive, but I liked it. I am glad that someone out there is finally stepping up and saying that if teachers can’t deal with the technology that is available to them then they need to find another job. It isn’t okay to have some teachers very technologically savvy and others who can’t even turn a computer on. Let’s face it, we have all had the wonderful experience of having an old teacher like this and it is nerve racking. Teachers must educate themselves in order to be able to educate the students. The times are changing and technology is a way of life for many of the students today; not to mention the jobs that are being created that solemnly rely on computers.

If more teachers could realize the importance of technology then there wouldn’t even be an issue here. Teachers do not want to change because they fear it. The problem is the fact that they are hindering the students learning abilities by not teaching basic life skills. Technology isn’t something that is a luxury to learn; it is an essential fiber in the thread of education.
Gary Hayes Social Media Count

The numbers are outstanding in the terms of how many people are using technology by the second. At first, I was almost certain that this didn’t apply to me because I am a Physical Education major. The more I got to thinking about it though; I realized that this has absolutely everything to do with me. How am I supposed to get kids active when they have their heads in a computer all day? I can’t punish them for it because it is their way of life now. I have to learn to incorporate it into my curriculum so they can learn the healthy benefits from it.

Just as I said before, teachers have to change in the classroom in order to be able to keep up with the students. This is going to be even harder for me because I have to make sure they are active and healthy. I can incorporate the Wii system into my coaching so that I can show them how to use there playing time wisely. I can teach them about the wonderful tools online that are set up to help people keep track of their nutritional goals. I most certainly can use technology to help me with my PE classes and if I can do this, any teacher can do it. It’s all about change and change is good.

1 comment:

  1. What do you miss by not paying attention in class? What questions does Dr. Wesch's video raise about how colleges and teachers organize and deliver instruction?

    You are the first person who has identified what I think is the major problem with Ms. Hines' argument. Way to go! Thoughtful and every well done. (Especially since you agree with me!)

    And the same can be said for your comments about Dr. Fisch's position. I hope EDM310 helps eliminate the issue - at least for new teachers from USA!

    Very well done!

    ReplyDelete