Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Additional Blog Assignment #2

1.What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?
Yes. All students need is motivation and it helps to come from a teacher but it matters the most when it comes from the student themselves. I really enjoyed this video because I believe the point of it is to help the areas where there is not any education. As I read the comments that some people left about this video, I became really aggravated. I feel like half of the people that viewed it, misinterpreted it. He wasn’t saying that teachers aren’t important, nor was he saying that students are better off teaching themselves. The point that he was making was that there are areas where teachers will not go so the children there are left without an education. When you give them the option to succeed, the ones who want it the most will. Why segregate them the way they have been? With all the technology that we have in the world, there isn’t any reason to why these children do not at least have the opportunity to an education.

2.If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?
Yes they can. It is not going to be an easy street for them but they can do it. If you want something bad enough, you do it. These students just need the opportunity to a better education because for some, the only education they will get will be from themselves.

3.What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself? The condition for a child to teach themselves has to be drastic before I believe it can be successful. When the child is faced with the option of either A. no education or B. an education that they taught themselves by-I believe the ones that want it will choose B.

4.What role do computers and internet access play in the process?
They play the most important role of all. Computers and Internet are the only resources these students will have to a proper education. They can learn all they need to learn just by using the internet.

5.What role does motivation, a desire to learn?
Motivation comes in first, then technology. A student must have the desire to further their education before anything can be done.

6.What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?
There a lot of questions when it comes to self learning but I believe the good outweighs the bad.

7.How do you motivate someone to learn?
As a teacher, you encourage them to learn so that they can accomplish their dreams in life. For a student that lacks access to a teacher, the mother must motivate the child. Some children are just lucky enough to be dreamers all on their own. When they have dreams that they want to accomplish in life, they will motivate themselves to be better.

8.How are you motivated to learn?
I am motivated to learn when it interests me. I will be the first to tell you that if I am not interested in something that I am being made to learn, I will not pay attention. It has to be a goal I’m working toward in order for me to be motivated enough to do the things that I don’t want to do.

9.Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn?
No. It has to come from within in order to succeed.

10.Do you teach yourself? When? Why?
All the time. I Youtube things that I need directions to because you can see the examples from a video instead of reading them. I taught myself how to sew from the internet and I also get ideas for teaching my kickboxing class from the internet.

11.What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?
A teacher is there to help you put the pieces together. I can read something on the internet and be confused on the meaning of it, but when I get to class, the teacher explains it in a way that I can relate it to my life.

12.What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?
That there are children out there that can learn on their own. When a student is faced with this only option and still wants to learn, I have to admire them.

13.What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers?
Is it helpful to use out of classroom technology to further the student’s education even if there is a teacher on staff? A teacher must use other resources for the students that just simply learn better on their own. We help students that need more one on one attention so why not help the students that learn better by themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment