Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blog Post #10

An Open Letter to Educators

Morgan Bayda is a teacher that received her degree in Canada. She travels all over the world to help other people out in any way that she can. I had to read several of her post for my comment for teacher assignments and I must say that she has been one of my favorites. She has posted pictures of all the places that she has traveled to and with them, she has written summaries about her experiences in those places. I admire her for all the traveling she has gotten to do and for all the help that she has given to people all over the world. I read her blog all the time and there is always something interesting on it. For this assignment, we were supposed to read her blog about Dan Brown’s video. Dan Brown is angry and he wants education to change. Morgan understands where he is coming from but she doesn’t agree with his decision to drop out of school. I also agree with Morgan because Dan has thrown away his future all because he is mad.

Don’t Let Them Take Home Pencils

The problem in this story is the same problem that many teachers face every day. It seems as if people are trying to just band-aid a problem rather than finding a solution to it. The teachers didn’t want the students to bring home pencils because of the low test scores on the standardized test. They believe the pencils are to blame so now the students can’t take home pencils. Instead of taking away the pencils, why not find a way to make the pencils helpful to the students? The cycle will just continue until someone stands up and tries to help the students out.

Two Questions that can Change Your Life

1.What’s my sentence? 2. Was I better today than yesterday?

These are two questions that the video asks its viewers to think about. This video is a type of self-help post to get others to become better people. I get its point, I just didn’t like it. I felt like it was way too short to get any real message across. I am forced to answer “what’s my sentence” so here it goes….
“I am a full time wife, daughter, sister, grand-daughter, and friend who loves life”

1 comment:

  1. Brittany,

    You make a great point ... why not find a way to make the pencils helpful to the students? In education, we need to try and solve problems rather than being negative. We have to try and help one another when it comes to the educational process and become a positive collaborative learning community.

    ReplyDelete